ALGEBRA I: Start Simple
Review the Learning Ladder
- Before a student can be expected to begin or complete a course in Algebra I…
- 100% mastery of multiplication facts, division understanding, negative and positive integer’s concepts and comprehensive fraction knowledge is key.
- Be certain to go back and review with your students these skills before assuming mastery.
- Review of skills assesses achievement of mastery before climbing the “Needed Skills Ladder” [scaffold] of learning before tackling Algebra I. Each rung must be complete before proceeding to the next.
- Now and only then can we effectively upskill our students.
Math is based on skill building and Algebra begins a new more complex set of challenges for many students.
- Leo Cole is an educator, former school administrator, artist, musician, science / math teacher and education visionary